Sunday, March 11, 2007

More meat in my stew please

By and large we Irish like our stew. Me, I love the stuff but have noticed that stew is becoming more and more potato and less and less meat. Until that is, I found a tiny little cafe (actually it has no seats so it's probably not a cafe) that does really meaty stew.

It's a five minute walk further down the road but even on a rainy day like today I'd rather make the trip than get a meatless stew from the place at the end of the road.

How much more meat could you add to your product?

2 Comments:

Blogger simonr said...

I (think I) tend to suffer from too much meat in mine. For example, in our one-day presentation skills training courses we include just about everything under the sun. Typical comments include surpirse at how much 'meat' we put in. The upside is, of course, that our courses have a fantastic reputation (and people recommend them to other folks) but there is a large downside....

...specifically, that there's no real selling-on or selling-up that can be done: our original product is a bit too good for that to work, if you see what I mean.

It's not all about more meat: it's about the right amount of meat....

Isn't it?

9:27 PM  
Blogger Mark at Really Practical Marketing said...

I agree Simon

More meat doesn't have to be about putting more things in - it's about providing the extra value that makes your product/service stand out from the rest - over delivery if you will.

It seems that your business already does that and has gained a goode reputation as a result of making the initial decision to put 'more meat' in. I think the referrals you get reinforces the 'more meat' message.

In reference to your 'downside' you may want to look at related services that you could provide that take your training courses a step further. You may already offer these but I'd be looking at: refreshers courses (2 hour or half day), written materials (a book perhaps) or some followup personal consulting over the phone.

Feel free to drop me a line sometime if you fancy discussing it further and many thanks for the taking the time to comment.

9:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home