Wednesday, February 14, 2007

How to work with a marketing consultant

I recently read a post on the Shotgun Marketing blog. It uses the analogy of a spoon in a glass of water:

"There was a businessman who was having lunch with an older collegue. The businessman was telling his friend how much he was working and what important things he was doing for his company.
When the older friend heard this, he picked up a teaspoon from the table and started stirring a glass of water. He said that the businessman was the teaspoon and the water was the company and water's motion was all the impact that the young businessman was having on the company.
And then he took the spoon out of the glass.
And the water quickly stopped its motion.
The older friend said that's also what would happen when the man left the company."

This got me thinking about past clients I've worked with and that thinking threw out a few ideas:

1. Why not give them a call? - if the glass isn't being stirred any more they may their 'spoon' back for another spin

2. If I was hiring someone in or looking for a consultant (marketing of otherwise) I'd make sure that my organisation was learning as much as possible from them while they were here. I'd want training me and my team to be a fundamental part of the work they would do in order for me to get the most from their fees - and keep the water swirling even after they'd left.

Assuming most clients don't think that may without prompting it is likely as excellent way to differentiate and really go beyond expectations. I'll be making it part of every new proposal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home